A KTV is inspected in Battambang Province. Photo delivered

After KTV karaoke parlors, beer gardens, and nightclubs close, officials will be making the rounds to make sure business owners are following the government’s new guidelines.

Ministry of Tourism’s undersecretary of state Top Sopheak told the Post on Nov. 10 that all tourism departments and relevant agencies had followed orders from the government to ensure that adult entertainment business would cease.

“The government had previously ordered karaoke to be closed [clubs] and entertainment clubs, which we refer to as adult entertainment centers, but we do not close any restaurants or resorts. But without guests or due to bankruptcy, some closed or suspended [their operations],” he said.

He added that the ministry has set up a Covid-19 control team to work with relevant authorities and conduct nationwide inspections to ensure the new guidelines are being followed.

Sopheak urged all tour operators and tourism companies to be patient and to get involved in preventing the spread of Covid-19 by making their business locations safe for customers.

“Companies that are banned by the government, like KTV and entertainment clubs, must remain closed. If companies reopen in violation of the guidelines, the authorities will follow legal procedures, ”he said.

On November 9, Tourism Minister Thong Khon issued an announcement of the closings.

Khon said the city and provincial governors must continue to implement the policies of the tourism and health departments.

Taing Sochet Kresna, director of Preah Sihanouk Provincial Tourism Department, told the Post on Nov. 11 that officials had inspected more than 20 entertainment venues in the province to ensure they were compliant.

“There are more than 40 entertainment venues in our province, but about 50 percent are closed because of Covid-19,” he said.

He added that several businesses had closed on their own while some were still operating as restaurants, which is legal.

According to a report by the Phnom Penh Municipal Tourism Department, more than 400 entertainment venues ceased operations as directed by ministries in response to the so-called November 3rd event when Hungarian Foreign and Trade Minister Peter Szijjarto visited Cambodia and later tested positive for Covid-19 in the Thai capital Bangkok.